Thursday, July 23, 2020

My Tramping plan for the 2020/2021 season

The year without mass tourism...

I have been working on my annual plan for the tramping excursions I intend to undertake over the 2020/2021 season. This is a planning exercise I do every year...I find that if I do not have a clear list of trips to cross off as I go I don't get out very often. 

At the Marahau shelter at the end of the Abel Tasman Coast Track...
I recommend that you sit down in late May/early June and plan your agenda for the coming year. This allows time to identify potential destinations before the DOC online hut booking system rolls over.

What we can expect over the next year..


 I am interested to see how things will be different as this will be the year without mass tourism. At the moment the borders are closed tight to any tourists...only expatriate New Zealanders returning to the maternal bosom are allowed back into the country.  Covid-19 still has the world firmly by the throat so I do not see our borders opening anytime soon. 

Most of the Air New Zealand fleet has been mothballed...(photo from Radio NZ site)

It is quite likely that we will have NO TOURISTS coming here for the first time in recorded history. Economically it will be a kick in the teeth for our country but I am curious to see what a New Zealand summer sans the tourists will be like. We may decide we like it that way...


I am hoping for better weather in Fiordland this year....a wet December 2019

The focus for 2020/2021 is knocking off the last two Great Walks and some longer multi-day trips to Abel Tasman NP, Arthur's Pass NP and the St James Conservation Area. I will also be returning to Paparoa National Park for a couple of missions.

I have planned a return to Paparoa National Park...

I will be visiting some new parks...Kahurangi NP and Richmond Forest Park. I have tramped in Kahurangi before back in the 1980's and 1990's. There is much to do there but it is at the top of the South Island (400+ km's away...) so a bit difficult to access from Christchurch...it is not a weekend trip destination. If you are going it is for a week or more...

I have never visited Richmond Forest Park...the closest i have been is to Kahekatea Flats campground and into the Maitai Dam area. I'm looking at doing a TA section from Pelorous Bridge to St Arnaud depending on time and finances.

Kahekatea Flats at Pelorus Bridge is the start of the Richmond Range...

I have a new MTB which I brought after the Covid-19 lockdown. I was a keen rider back in the 1990's and now I have more spare time I am looking at getting back into a few rides. I wont be doing any of those chaotic down hill rides I used to do on the Port Hills. Rather I am looking at riding some of the Rail Trails which criss-cross the South Island.

I am keen to ride the Alps 2 Ocean at some stage...

Anyway here is the plan for the 2020/2021 season as it currently exists...these are the specific trips into Arthur's Pass I intend to do. 

List of tramping trips I will be undertaking


As always these trips are totally reliant on New Zealand's often fickle weather so some of them may not be completed in this cycle. Future trips are in black while completed trips are in red. You can click on the links to go to the relevant post on this blog. The huts comment (5 huts etc.) is the number of new huts I can bag on that trip...

O.K lets go....!!!!




August 2020:

  • Arthur's Pass NP, Arthur's Pass Walking Track, early August, day walk (rained out...went to Abel Tasman NP instead...)


Weather permitting I hope to revisit the Arthur's Pass Walking Track

                                         

October 2020:


Im hoping to get back up the Poulter Valley later this year as the new replacement Casey Hut is due to open at the end of August. It has been nearly five years since the original hut burnt down and I have long wanted to have another go round the Casey-Binser circuit. There are also a ton of huts to baggins up the Poulter...

                 
Hoping to get back up the Poulter River in 2020...

November 2020:

                       
December 2020:

  • Arthur's Pass, Mingha-Deception Route: 4-6th December, overnight (3 huts)
  • Arthur's Pass NP, Taipo Valley: 12th December, MTB ride to the Dillon Huts, day ride (3 huts)
                                     
I want to visit the Dillon Huts in the Taipo Valley


January 2021:

My workplace has mandated that we must take a week of annual holidays over the Christmas break...personally I would rather use the time else where but there is not much I can do about it. Karen is working so we will not be able to go away together, therefore....tramping/camping time up some remote valley for Jon!!!
  •  Arthur's Pass NP, Taipo Valley Trip: hut bagging up the Taipo River Valley (5-6 huts) or similar OR Arthur's Pass NP/Lake Sumner Forest Park, Harper's Pass Track: five days from the Otira River to Windy Point (10 huts possible)
  • Arthur's Pass NP, Sudden Valley: mid January, overnight/day trip (1 hut)                 
Will I finally get up the Taramakau River in 2021????


February 2021:

The Cass-Lagoon Saddle track is not in Arthur's Pass NP itself but close enough for inclusion in this list...

  • Craigieburn Forest Park, Cass-Lagoon Saddle Track: mid-late February, multi-day (3 huts)
       

A return trip to Lagoon Saddle Shelter is on the books...


March 2021: (Possible trips TBC)
         
  • Arthur's Pass NP, Coral Track/Cons Track: late March, day trip  or
  • Arthurs Pass NP, East Hawdon Valley: late March, overnight (I haven't been to the East Hawdon since 2014 so it is time I returned. I will probably camp up the valley near the bivy) 
                       
I have planned to visit Cons Track in 2021
    
June 2020:
  • some winter trips TBC.....mostly day walks but I will try for a couple of overnight trips as well. 


Obviously all of this is inspirational...many factors can limited the number of trips I take over a season. The main two will be weather and the current Covid-19 situation. As we have seen overseas this virus can have multiple waves and we could find ourselves locked down once again if we had an significant outbreak. There are also finances and time to be considered...I have to work to survive!!! 

I am heading out on more tramps than these but just not in Arthur's Pass National Park. If you would like to look at my full list of 2020/2021 tramps go to my main blog. 

I might see you out there....

Time to lace those boots and get walking!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment